Astoria celebrates with Regatta parade

The 117th Astoria Regatta Lektro Grand land parade brought floods of people to the downtown core Saturday to celebrate Astoria’s 200th birthday – complete with clowns, princesses, queens and special guest Lord Astor.
“I just love it out here,” said Jim Stevens of Portland. “I haven’t been to a parade here in ages, but I am glad I made it back for this one. It’s bigger than I remember.”
This year, the parade route went to Duane and Exchange streets instead of Commercial Street.
Deputy Chief Brad Johnston of the Astoria Police Department called the parade route move a good decision by Regatta President Eric Paulson, one that he hopes will last. He said it was the first time traffic on Highway 30 wasn’t affected by the parade.
The event lasted more than two hours.
For complete coverage of the parade and other Bicentennial events, pick up a copy of Monday's Daily Astorian.

No comments:

Post a Comment